With a heritage dating back to 1885, when the doors originally opened as F. Stansfield Watchmaker & Goldsmiths, Robert Openshaw Fine Jewellery has had a long history of delighting its customers. If it wasn’t for Samuel Crane, a silent partner who loaned Frederic & Bertha the money to start up… they wouldn’t be here today.
It was then in July 1946 when Co-operative Optician & Chemist Robert purchased the business from Bertha Stansfield following the death of her husband Frederick.
In 1964 Robert took on Jeweller Alan Fairbotham who later bought the business with his wife Anne in 1982 following a turnaround of fortunes and Openshaw Opticians having moved onto Market Street by 1975.
1985 and Robert Openshaw’s celebrate 100 years.
2008 saw the business being handed down to Daughter & Son in Law Helen & Mark Hepworth. Priority was to fully modernise their showroom and install their own in-store Jewellery workshops. Mark is also a past Yorkshire President of the National Association of Jewellers. To date, they are the longest standing Independent Retailer in Cleckheaton.